Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Hard drive

With that BAD fs [filesystem] report, I wonder if my hard drive will conk off?! I guess I should take an image of C: sometime. Cool.. if what I'm working on is developed, one would be able to take a snapshot of Linux as well! Herez some interesting stuff Manu told me, which I didn't know earlier.

The hard drive has an MBR, which has the location of the OS on the Primary Partition. From what I understood, when you install Linux on a computer running Windows, this location is overwritten with that of GRUB (the multi-boot boot loader). At the same time, GRUB records the location of the Windows OS loader. So, when you switch on the computer, the first thing that comes up is GRUB. It lets you choose between booting Linux or Windows. Neat, huh?

I came across this lovely page on RAID.
EVMS interfaces to the disk through two interfaces:
1) DM, i.e. Device Mapper (regular, striped n' RAID0 disks), and
2) MD, i.e. Multiple Device (used for RAID0/1/4/5 n' linear devices)

I've to trace the code from /usr/src/evms-2.3.4/ui/cli/evms.c (Command-Line Interface) to find out how the engine (/usr/src/evms-2.3.4/engine/) uses dm and md. Great Scott!

Me trying to read evms code
On how to create an inode
I'm browsing with Source Insight
But C's putting up a valiant fight
Guess I'll soon have to hit the road

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home