Monday, September 27, 2004

Boohoo!

Today, I thought, "Why do I use Windows?" n' pat came the answer, "Outlook!". Yes, the only real reason I select DOS in GRUB each time is 'cuz checking mail n' the calendar wuz never easier than with Outlook. OK, I did get Evolution to behave really well, but what if IS (Information Systems) decide one day, to take away the exclusive SMTP/POP access that I enjoy here? How did this happen?

Well.. I went home once last year n' tried to configure Outlook Express to work. It didn't. I got back n' raised a complaint that my SMTP/POP didn't work. I think someone enabled just my username! That wuz that n' it even helped me in my previous project where I had to configure Winfax' internal mail client to work. Predictably, it worked only with my login, n' not even with my PM's! :p

OK, so if IS suddenly discover the undeserved privilege that I've been accorded, they might just strip me of access. I will then have to fall back on the MS Exchange 2000 access that everyone else has. Why not get it to work in Linux? 'cuz therez only Ximian Connector that will support it.

I fought with obstinate wget to get Red Carpet installed, to no avail. But perseverance paid off today, when I found the Novell location where I could download Connector without red-carpet! I did it n' discovered that it required a newer version of Evolution. Well, I found that there too..!!

But it asked for this package and that.. n' I gave up trying to download dependencies. I then hit upon GARNOME which is currently taking care of all my troubles. I hope everything's OK when I get back tomorrow..

Update: It wasn't. GARNOME also did its part of the asking- it wanted libbz2..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home