Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Install

My favorite editor is ViM. Incidentally, I love it so much, I use it the Windows version of it too.. Once you get used to it, everything else, including Notepad, is trash! Btw, here's a lovely page I came across on chmod.
The equivalent of Windows Explorer in Redhat is a graphical shell called Nautilus (for Gnome). You can access network drives from Nautilus by typing in smb://network_folder in the Location region.

Herez how you install a package. "%" is your shell prompt:

If you have the RPM:
%: rpm -i filename.rpm

If you have the tarball, unzip it:
%: tar xvzf filename.tar.gz
OR
%: tar xvjf filename.tar.bz2

Become root:
%: su

Usually, you've to type in this:
%: ./configure
%: make
%: make install


You could also type in:
%: ./configure ; make ; make install

n' go for a coffee break! ;)

2 Comments:

At 12:09 am, Blogger Lauren Smith said...

Seriously, is there anything *worse* than Notepad? Okay, maybe edlin or emacs. Come on, you can't compare Vim to Notepad, though, they are in totally different classes!

Personally, I use JEdit. I find it does what I want an editor to do with the least amount of fuss and the shortest learning curve (none). It's written in Java, so it ought to work whatever platform you're on.

 
At 4:02 am, Blogger Aslan said...

I completely agree that ViM requires a proper learning curve. I hated it the first time I wuz introduced to it, n' used to stick to an editor called 'joe' which used WordStar commands, which I wuz familiar with. But the second time I wuz taught vi wuz the right way, thanx to one Damarugendra [a colleague who will come into the picture later in this blog] n' I fell in love with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home