Monday, September 13, 2004

MyConfig

OK, first things first.. here's my configuration:

A Dell OptiPlex GX270 running Redhat 9.0 (Shrike) [Kernel 2.4.20-8]

Why did I put this up? So that people who search Google for problems on this config. are benefitted by solutions published on this blog.

Now that that's over with, lets proceed..

What did I do first? The display was behaving queer. I found out it wuz 'cuz only 1MB RAM wuz being reported by the motherboard. Changing it to 8MB in the BIOS didn't help. So I flashed the BIOS with a previous revision, viz. A02 and it started working fine. But the sound still didn't work. Well, I got the ALSA driver from their site- version 1.0.2a, but there wuz no RPM, so I just did 'make'. Previously it wouldn't detect anything, but then it detected the AC'97 on Intel board, but still /dev/mixer couldn't be written to.

But then I got it working! Next, I configured Samba Server to run successfully on my comp. Then, I discovered Ximian Connector an Email client for Linux, which actually has MS Exchange support! Novell has now made it free! I haven't been able to get it working yet and am still on Ximian Evolution, using SMTP/POP3.

More later..

5 Comments:

At 5:29 am, Blogger Neo said...

very frank...i didnt get a word of what you said in this post..
firstly how did you change the Motherboard RAM from 1MB to 8MB in the BIOS?????
how do you flash a BIOS?

I guess to understand this blog, u need to have knowledge on linux, atleast the basics eh???

 
At 10:23 pm, Blogger Aslan said...

The 1MB to 8MB I mentioned is actually the Onboard Video Buffer. In all recent motherboards, a part of the RAM is used by the Video, unlike in old computers, where VRAM (Video RAM) was separate. This was probly 'cuz DRAM/EDO-RAM used then, was not fast enough to support video. But SDRAM/DDR-RAM used now is. This is configurable in the BIOS (should be under Integrated Devices -> Legacy Select Options). n' dude, when you have doubts, use Google. They have forums which discuss such problems.

 
At 10:50 pm, Blogger Aslan said...

n NO! to understand this blog, u don't need to know linux. motherboard, RAM, onboard video buffer, etc. are all hardware- which i cannot expect infoscions to know about :p
n' if u don't know, i repeat.. Google for it. do at least that much. after all, i'm not asking u to RTFM

 
At 3:44 am, Blogger Neo said...

I am using google my dear..i am..i can do that much atleast:-)

 
At 5:01 am, Blogger Aslan said...

Good! Thats a start at least. Wonder why you didn't use it to search for 'BIOS Flash' tho'..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home